Rams Late Two-Run Rally Clinches Final Home Game


Matt Ko pitched nine innings, giving up only two-earned runs.


Sophomore pitcher Matt Ko pitched his final game for City College baseball in stellar fashion, allowing only two earned runs in nine innings as the Rams defeated Canada College 6-4 at Sunberg field in Balboa park on April 29.

“I knew this was my last game for City and I had to go balls out,” Ko said.

By the top of the third inning, Ko (5-5, 4.65) established control of his fastball and curveball, foiling Canada batters into groundouts and flyouts while holding the Canada Colts to four scoreless innings in his third complete game this spring.

Right fielder Matt Armstrong gave the Rams the early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the third inning with a sacrifice groundout that allowed third baseman Nicholas Fabian to score from third after Fabian stole second base on a first-pitch strike and advanced to third base on a 2-2 wild pitch.

With third baseman Andrew Ontai (.296) advancing to second base on another wild pitch in the bottom of the fourth inning, sophomore catcher Galen Volpondesta smashed a high fastball into the left-center gap for a one-out RBI double that gave the Rams a two run advantage. Volpondesta went 3-4 with three RBIs in his last game at Balboa Park.

“The pitcher kept trying to throw fastballs inside on me,” Volpondesta said. “I was seeing the ball really good and making adjustments. We have not beaten Canada all last year and this year, so it was good to get this monkey off our back.”

With a 3-0 lead in the top of the fifth inning, Ko’s arm appeared to be tiring after he walked the first two Canada batters. After a sacrifice fly put Canada on the board and with runners on second and third base, Ko left a slider across the plate. The pitch was driven hard to the deep left-field alley. The runners scored, and the three-run lead was lost.

Canada (24-12-1, 12-10) tied the game in the seventh inning, as Ko showed clear signs of fatigue. A one-out RBI single tied the game 4-4 and left runners on second and third base with one out. Second baseman Ryan Silver made a fully extended 10-foot leap to snag a clothesline shot that seemed headed for the right-center alley and tagged out the second base runner for an impressive double play to end the inning.

“It was his last game of his career here,” coach John Vanoncini said of Ko, “and I wanted to give him a shot at his third complete game of the season. I knew he could handle the pressure with runners on base. I knew he could finish strong in the last innings.


Running in the Family



Chauncey David-Jacobs holds second-fastest time in the 200m.


When City College sprinter Chauncey David-Jacobs ran the 200m in 23.96 seconds at the Coast Conference Championships at Monterey on April 26, she again became the second-fastest among junior college women to run the 200m.

When her husband Kenneth Smith — himself a track coach who watched from the stands — broke the news, that sweetened it. She improved from 23.97 at the Johnny Mathis Invitational in San Francisco two weeks prior, and had improved more this time.

“My husband was happy and he told me he already knew I could run that time and he believes I will gofaster,” David-Jacobs said.

The 20-year-old freshman’s family carries an athletic tradition. David-Jacobs’ father played football. Her brother runs track at Phillip Burton High School, her alma mater. David-Jacobs herself demonstrated speed when she was younger.

But it was her mother, Silvia David, who inspired her to run track. David-Jacobs watched videos of her mother, a police officer, running in competitions against her fellow cops.

Fearing her daughter would burn out at an early age, David kept her from competing until her freshman

year in high school.

“She waited until I got in high school when it would be fun and fresh for me,” David-Jacobs said.

David-Jacobs balances sports and scholastics with Smith’s help. David-Jacobs said Smith acted as a mentor through her high school years, and he still plays that role.

“Mainly I keep (Chauncey) motivated and keep her head in the books and support her the best I can,” Smith said.

David-Jacobs and Smith were children when they met, but the relationship didn’t blossom until after she moved to Sacramento. In 2006, she told Smith she would like to marry someone like him. Three months later they married at San Francisco City Hall.

“I never believed in love at first sight until I met Kenneth,” she said. “I do believe we had that connection.”

A typical day for David-Jacobs includes going to morning classes, taking a midday break, practicing on the track from 1 to 3 p.m. and helping Smith coach youth track.
David-Jacobs also volunteers at her father-in-law’s bingo parlor and at a day care center her mother now runs. She also finds time for Smith’s children, Alyse, 10, and Zymarie, 2.

“It’s not that hard because I love track and I love my family,” David-Jacobs said.

Her training regimen varies with the time of year. In the off-season — September to December — David-Jacobs trains with weights for strength and stamina. The rest of the year is dedicated to running and fewer gym workouts.

Coach Doug Owyang lauds David-Jacobs’ work ethic.

“She has a mentality and will to succeed that carries over to her teammates,” Owyang said.

David-Jacobs also runs the 4x100m and 4x400m relays.

“We all get along very well,” David-Jacobs said of relay partners, Tasha Mizel, LaShannda Worthy and Leona Shum. “We love to run track, it all works out.”

Next semester, David-Jacobs will transfer to University of Nevada-Las Vegas on a track scholarship, and she hopes to earn a Master of Social Work.

“I’m still trying to feel around (which specialty),” she said.

Like any other parent, David-Jacobs wishes to see her stepchildren follow in her footsteps, or rather her running strides.

“I’m not going to force them to run, but definitely I want them to be out there,” she said. “If they like it, then I would love it. But if not, they could take up any sport.”


Hall of Fame to Transition to Wellness Center


City College’s Hall of Fame will be moved to the Wellness Center from its longtime home in the defunct South Gymnasium, according to head football coach George Rush.

Started in 1985, inductions to the hall were held every five years until 1995.

“The first hall of fame was in 1985, and we did inductions every five years,” said Rush. “To do it every two or three years might have watered the meaning of the hall of fame.”

Because no inductions have been made in 13 years, the athletic department planned to wait until the Wellness Center had been built to rekindle the hall of fame.

Now that the Wellness Center has been built, talks have stalled about the Hall of Fame.

“Due to all the moving and coaches getting their offices together, we as a program have kind of forgot about it,” said Dan Hayes, physical education department chair..

“The faculty, the coaches, and the administration all have to get together and decide on how to get the Hall of Fame back up and running,” Hayes added. “Hopefully in 2010 we can kind of get it going again, and have a nice ceremony.”